Sunday, February 7, 2010

Henry Art Gallery Part 2: Vortexhibition Polyphonica





Cherry Bomb Vortex By: E.V. Day

Meanwhile downstairs at The Henry:

A not so permanent exhibit of The Henry's permanent collection. It seems like this exhibition is meant to change over the course of the... um... exhibition.
I am not quite sure what it means but here is the statement from the website: "Working with this innovative concept, Henry curators will select distinctive objects to act as conceptual “hubs.” These anchoring works will establish topics around which a constellation of other objects will orbit. Over the course of the extended exhibition run, the curatorial team will work with a call-and-response tactic to create new hubs with new supporting pieces. These groups will be integrated into the exhibition gradually: as some objects exit others will enter to reconfigure and re-contextualize the exhibition."

Regardless of what gets moved around or becomes a 'hub'. I wanted to mention an artist in the exhibit that stood out to me as particularly fabulous:

E.V. Day
Day is a NY based artist with an MFA from Yale. Impressive. She works in sculpture (though the piece that I saw might be difficult to consider as sculpture) and installation. Her piece Cherry Bomb Vortex was the first thing to smack me in face as I walked in to the gallery. It was red fabric suspended from the ceiling by clear wire and an elaborate system of hooks. The title of her collection that houses Cherry Bomb Vortex: Exploding Couture. I love this title. It is both descriptive and imaginative.
Any amount of my own description of this artist's work will not be able to paint quite as successful a picture as an actual....picture. (I cannot imagine the time that goes into this installation process. I would cry.)

Henry Art Gallery
E.V. Day Website

1 comment:

  1. These are really cool. They remind me of two pieces i´ve seen in my life. One was in the DeYoung (spelling?) in San Fran, and was composed of burnt wooden remnants of a church suspended like rain drops above a pile of more burnt rubble; and the other was here in Spain, where many pieces of ceramic shards were hung by lines in a spherical shape. I wrote a blog about it a while back, and have a couple of pictures.

    ReplyDelete